Online Therapy / Tele-Psychology Services
Sometimes it is not always feasible to travel to a therapist’s office to access mental health support.
This can be due to a variety of reasons ranging from:
- Limited access to transportation
- Living in a remote area
- Becoming sick and not wanting to share your germs
This is especially true in more recent times with the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic and the recommendation for social isolation and/or quarantine.
With the power of the internet and the use of encrypted and secure platforms that are HIPPA compliant, therapists and clients can “meet” online for their sessions and still obtain an “in-person” feel to their appointments. Tele-psychology is not new, and with the right preparations, many clients settle in to their online session within the first 5-10 minutes, often not noticing the online environment.
- Can be accessed from the comfort or your home or another private location
- Reduces travel time
- Reduces time away from work or home
- Can reduce cost of child-care while you are away to attend your appointment
- Has shown to be effective. The direct feedback from our clients has been positive
- May be difficult for people not familiar with computers or using online platforms
- Depending on your bandwidth or internet connection, there can be glitches in the video or audio
- Although we use encrypted and HIPPA-compliant platforms, there is always the risk of someone intercepting a session
Requirements & Set-Up
- Your therapist will send you a link to their “online office” a few minutes before your appointment.
- Its best to have a pair of ear-buds available. This will improve your hearing and reduce feedback.
- Ensure all notifications and reminders are turned off. These will distract you and could pull you our of your therapy experience.
- Ensure you have a private room and that you won’t be interrupted.
- Ensure your camera (whether you are using a laptop, smart phone, or a tablet) is in a stable position so you are not required to hold it. This will let you sit more comfortably.
- If you live with people, it also may be a beneficial to schedule in an extra 30-60 mins after your session so you have time to reflect before engaging with family life.