About Amanda Santarossa, M.C., Registered Psychologist
I believe that counselling is helpful for enhancing overall health, and for creating meaning and hope.
My goal in therapy is to work with my clients in a way that is most helpful to them; most often, this involves a collaborative approach and a co-creation of solutions.
I offer a mindful, compassion-centred approach to counselling that incorporates Eastern and Western psychology practices.
As a registered psychologist, I enjoy working with a variety of populations including in youth, adults, families, and groups.
Training & Qualifications
I am a registered psychologist with a Master’s Degree in Counselling Psychology. I am also a Certified EMDR Therapist and Consultant-in-Training.
My practice is attachment-informed and encompasses components of psychodynamic, ego-states, and Gestalt (process-based) therapies. I primarily use EMDR when working with clients. I am trained in working with dissociation and incorporating body-based approaches to help with the regulation of the nervous system. I also have experience with cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and Solution-Focused therapy.
Services can be Accessed Privately or Through the Following Plans
- Automobile Accident Insurance (Section B)
- Extended Health Care Plan (Blue Cross, Manulife, Sunlife, etc)
- Workers' Compensation Board
- Veteran's Affairs.
-License Number: 4942.
Areas of Interest & Specialty
- Trauma (e.g. PTSD, dissociation (including dissociative disorders), acute stress, and trauma-related symptoms)
- Bipolar (e.g. recent diagnosis, difficulty managing mania/hypomania episodes or depressive episodes, or stressors)
- Emotion Regulation/Anger Management (e.g. feeling overwhelmed or flooded by your emotions, feeling intense emotions that often result in harm to yourself or loved ones, acting on emotions that often feel outside of your control)
- Anxiety/Phobias (e.g. excessive fear, general anxiety, panic attacks, social anxiety)
- Depression (e.g. feeling down or low, lack of motivation, feeling hopeless about things getting better)
- Workplace Injury and Bullying (e.g. psychological harassment and violence, burnout, physical injury resulting in loss of mobility, rage of motion, or pain)
- Motor Vehicle Injury (e.g. fear of driving, difficulties regaining confidence and way of life after the MVA, pain, and loss of ability)
- Self-Esteem/Personal Growth (e.g. understanding yourself on a deeper level, learning how to develop yourself or personal relationships, gaining confidence within yourself)
- Addiction (e.g. substances, gambling, shopping, food)
Am I the Best Therapist for You?
We will likely be a good fit if you are interested in:
- A collaborative approach to therapy
- Exploring your concerns with an open mind
- Learning how your life circumstances (both positive and negative) have shaped you
- Practicing evidence-based strategies (e.g. strategies that have been found to work) in an easily understandable and accessible way
- Gaining perspective or connecting with greater meaning in life, including deepening your understanding of yourself, your values, and relationships
- Participating in regular ‘check-ins’ about the therapeutic process (to ensure therapy continues to meet your needs)
EMDR Advanced Training - for Clinicians
As a Certified EMDR Therapist and an EMDRIA Approved Consultant-in-Training (in consultation with Jasmine Alexander, EMDR Centre of Canada), I offer individual consultations to trained EMDR therapists through the framework developed by Dr. Francine Shapiro and case conceptualization established by Dr. Andrew Leeds.
I assist therapists who are working towards the following goals:
- to meet consultation requirements for EMDR Basic Training (10 consultation hours)
- to pursue and obtain EMDR Certification Status (15 of 20 consultation hours)
- to build skills and confidence in using EMDR therapy
My goal is to create a safe space for clinicians to learn skills and methods to enhance their clinical knowledge of EMDR and build self-efficacy within their practice of EMDR.
Consultations will include, but are not limited to, the following topics:
- Formulating strong case conceptualization
- Evaluating client readiness for EMDR Therapy
- Screening for and understanding Dissociative Disorders and Dissociation
- Ensuring fidelity to EMDR procedural steps
- Strengthening understanding of the Standard EMDR Protocol and modified EMDR protocols
- Selecting appropriate targets
- Exploring transference and counter-transference issues
- Addressing any clinical questions or concerns
We will likely be a good fit if:
- You are interested in working with a consultant that uses a sensitive and soft approach, yet can be directive when needed
- You are open to looking for guidance and insight into “why” you are experiencing issues in your current EMDR practice
- You are curious about how the theory of EMDR explains presentations in session
- You are interested in considering new perspectives with an open mind instead of immediately deciding that certain perspectives won't work
We will likely not be a good fit if:
- You are thinking that consultation will be easy or that I will be doing all of the work
- You are not open to exploring and conceptualizing your clients presenting concerns in a thorough, history-informed manner